Sunday, April 12, 2015

Growing up

A large part of me (as you can tell by this blog) is still a child at heart, but there is another part of me that is a maturing teenager who sees that growing up is inevitable and reasons that I had better get it all out of the way as soon as I can.

The teenage side of me is what pushed me to get a job and enroll in a college class (yep, just one). In some ways this has been hard, being homeschooled I never had to be anywhere every day or have a paper ready by a certain deadline, but in other ways both sides have enjoyed this step. It gives the reasonable part of me a sense of accomplishment, and the fact that I get to work with kids and I am enrolled in a writing class, gives my younger side a chance to exercise my imagination.

These two personalities are like sisters, they go everywhere with one another, but often, have disagreements on what the best way to do things is.

Kid me: OOOOHHH butterfly! Come on let's follow it. :)

Teenage me: Whoa, whoa, hold on. Come back over here. That is a pretty butterfly, but look  at that old gentleman walking down the street. What is he going to think about you? And besides, we need to head back home so I can work on my essay.

Kid me: No, no, that  old guy won't mind. It will probably make him smile and your essay can wait just a little bit longer. 

Teenage me:  I tell you what, if  we go back and work on the essay right now, we can have some of that chocolate I have been saving.

Kid me: Chocolate?

Teenage me: Mhmmm.

Kid me: Okay. :)

I would never want to get rid of either part of me, but as I get older, I find my mature (ish) side starting to win more of the arguments. That is one of the reasons I started this blog. I see it as a place where the kid side of me can win the battles. Even if the mature side puts up some fuss sometimes.

~ Real contentment must come from within. You and I can not change or control the world around us, but we can change and control the world within us. ~ Warren Wiersbe
     

2 comments:

  1. What collage course did you enroll in?? I am really enjoying your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enrolled in College Writing 101. I enjoy it a lot and my instructor is great. :) Awww thanks! I'm glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete